The Other 10%

I read an article on Psych Central awhile back that’s been stuck in the back of my mind for some time. It contained a shocking statistic about marriages in which at least one partner has bipolar disorder: 90% of these unions end in divorce. Ninety percent! That means only one marriage out of ten survives theContinue reading “The Other 10%”

I Want to Go Off My Meds. Somebody Please Talk Me Out of It.

Well, I do. I admit it. I’m tired of taking fistfuls of pills twice a day and I wish I could stop. Just as an experiment, of course…even though the last time I neglected to take my nighttime meds, I experienced the entire bipolar spectrum the next day and it took two more to straighten myself out.Continue reading “I Want to Go Off My Meds. Somebody Please Talk Me Out of It.”

Let The Games Begin

It’s a little early for the spring festivities to start, but with the nice weather we had last week I’m not only out of the depression, I feel like I’ve been CATAPULTED out of the depression. While I wouldn’t call this hypomania, I can feel something like it stirring under the surface, manifesting itself in aContinue reading “Let The Games Begin”

The Last Visit

Well, the long-dreaded parting with my psychiatrist has finally happened: thanks to my insurance, which will only pay for care received in my county of residence, yesterday was my last visit with Dr. Awesomesauce. And all I can say is I’m thankful I’m not in crisis at this point, because I’m not fond of the idea of getting my mentalContinue reading “The Last Visit”

Gratitude Journal: The Bipolar Edition

Well, this post is a little late for Thanksgiving, but I’m nonetheless thankful for a number of things (and people) I tend to take for granted the rest of the year. Here are a few of them: I’m thankful for stability, which in all the time I’ve been actively battling bipolar disorder, I never thought I’d find.Continue reading “Gratitude Journal: The Bipolar Edition”

Looking Backward, Looking Forward

Like a lot of bloggers, I often enjoy looking back over past blog entries to see what’s changed over time and evaluate my progress (or lack thereof). And what I can’t believe is how different my life is from what it was a year ago. Back then, I was a severely depressed, anxious hot mess of aContinue reading “Looking Backward, Looking Forward”

Suicide Is Painless

…or so went the theme song to TV’s M*A*S*H*. Truth is, it’s painless only for the one who completes it; for everyone left in its wake, it’s a clusterf##k of epic proportions. A friend of mine discovered this recently when a close relative, an untreated bipolar who was having marital problems, suddenly and shockingly took hisContinue reading “Suicide Is Painless”

Dumb Things People Say To “Help” Those With Mental Illness

It happens to all of us: we’re smack in the middle of a mood episode and a family member or friend, in an effort to be helpful, utters some platitude about how we need to cheer up in depression, or to settle down when we’re manic. But while we know they’re only trying to make us feel better, there are some phrasesContinue reading “Dumb Things People Say To “Help” Those With Mental Illness”

Shower Power

And now, a few words on a subject bipolar people don’t like to talk about: our reluctance to shower. I honestly don’t know what it is about performing personal hygiene that’s so hard, but it’s a real phenomenon among many of us, especially when we’re depressed. It just seems like too much of a bother. We’re not afraid ofContinue reading “Shower Power”