The Funeral and Other Things

August 11, 2016

We laid Will to rest Monday in an (almost) perfect funeral Mass. My older son delivered the most beautiful eulogy I’ve ever heard, and I’ve never been so proud of him as I am now. The music and Scriptures I chose flowed together better than I thought; the flowers were gorgeous, and the dessert reception was wonderful.

For my part, I was more or less OK until the very end of the Mass, and then I lost it. I didn’t sob or scream, but I was near it for a few minutes and only sheer force of will saved me. It all seemed so…final.

As indeed it is. The realization that Will is really gone has hit me like a ton of bricks, and I spend a lot of time in tears or close to it. I hate crying. I know it’s perfectly normal and even necessary, but it’s distressing to be fine one minute and weeping the next. I feel overwhelmed by everything I need to do—cancel doctor appointments, apply for the Social Security death benefit, figure out how to get Medicare Part D so my meds don’t cost me hundreds of dollars like they do now that Medicaid has run out. Talk about sticker shock! I’ve paid over $600 for just this month alone, and I can’t even afford all of them. Needless to say, this is a bad time to go without even one of my psych meds, and I hope I can remain stable.

But even though I’m hurting, I am thankful beyond words for the support system I have. My family and my many friends have been here for me in ways I never expected, and I know their prayers are heard because despite my pain, I feel very much loved. It’s not the same as being loved by a good husband, but Will and I had thirty-six years together and the last three were the best, even though we lived under the shadow of cancer the entire time. That love will never die…and it will sustain me for the rest of my days.

1. August 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Thinking of you.
    x

2. Nicole Graves permalink
    August 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Love you Marla! I am so sorry your hubby passed on.

3. August 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Can you get a case manager through medicare who can help you negotiate re cost of meds, etc? I am thinking I need one to help me navigate, to advocate for me, these weeds are awful thick 😦
    Love you – still praying!

4. August 12, 2016 4:17 am

Marla I new to your blog, but I want to extend my condolences to you and your family. I know you have a lot of people here who think the world of you. And I have been reading a lot of your blog today and already feel I know you. I will be praying for you sweetie.

5. August 12, 2016 5:53 am

Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes. I appreciate them more than words can say. God bless you!

6. August 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Praying for peace and strength for you and your family.