The Games People Play

April 4, 2015

Somebody please remind me never to let my antipsychotics run out again.

Well, it wasn’t ENTIRELY my fault. The pharmacy was totally out of Geodon when I called it in for a refill, but then the next night I was up till after 1 AM thanks to my son’s late arrival home from his vacation and skipped the Zyprexa as well. I knew I’d never get up in the morning if I took it. So I gambled…..and of course I lost.

I’ve never felt crazier in my life. My head was exploding with zillions of unrelated thoughts; my focus was gone; I had a squirmy sensation like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. My emotions were all over the map—I was giddy and talking up a storm one minute, weeping hysterically the next, and then back again.

In short, it was like experiencing the whole bipolar spectrum in one day. All I could do was ride it out, take ALL my meds early (they had since been refilled) and go to bed.

I still don’t know how it is that my brain can go haywire like that after only two days without both APs, but obviously they are the glue that holds me together. I’ve always been on a short leash, but this was ridiculous! Thankfully it took only two days to get back to normal; still, the episode scared me and I’m not going to let it happen again if I can help it.

So I’ll make sure to call in my prescriptions a week ahead of time, and I’ll take my APs no matter how late I have to be up at night or how early I have to be awake in the morning. Problem solved…..I hope!

1. April 5, 2015 12:22 am

stinks to be that sensitive! 😦 I hate being dependent on these things. But as long as it’s just a feeling it’s ok I guess. xoxo sorry for these stupid lessons we have to learn!

Liked by 2 people

2. April 5, 2015 9:49 am

Eep! Glad you made it through the few days.

Liked by 2 people

3. April 5, 2015 4:11 pm

Once I forgot to take my morning meds. By three I was getting these weird shooting zaps and thought I was having a stroke. Then I felt sort of out of body. I finally figured it out, duh, and took them.

Liked by 2 people

4. April 5, 2015 9:59 pm

Two days without antipsychotics is an eternity. I am very sensitive to medication changes or missed doses. Hope you are on the mend.

• April 6, 2015 12:01 am

I’m good now, everything is back to normal. Thank God!

• April 6, 2015 4:17 am

Antipsychotics are amazing how quickly they can achieve results (in some of us). I’m not on any now, but they have helped me in the past – both old school and new atypical – to stop mania and mixed states and rapid cycling.