NOW What??

July 19, 2014
tags:

As if I didn’t have enough on my plate…..last night I started having belly pain on the right side which did NOT go away with the morning light, so Will insisted on taking me to the ER, as did my primary care doctor.

I don’t have a gallbladder or an appendix, so that rules out any condition involving those organs. I wondered about a kidney stone (which I do have, but is not the cause of this particular pain). After being treated to the full-meal deal (IV fluids, blood work, and a CT scan with IV contrast) the ER doc said there was nothing wrong with my inner workings, except for some good-sized cysts on both my ovaries. Next thing I knew, they had made an appointment for me to visit a gynecologist in early August, and I got to go home with a nice Dilaudid/Zofran cocktail (medicine for pain and nausea) with a Vicodin chaser. It still hurt, I just didn’t give a damn anymore.

Great. I haven’t been to a GYN in years and had hoped to avoid doing so ever again. Not that I have anything against them, I simply haven’t needed one since the end of my reproductive years back in my late 40s. Now I don’t know what to think. The ER doc said it’s not the usual thing for a woman past menopause to have these things, which is the reason for the urgency, but then I had them when I was still having periods so I can’t get too excited about it.

All I know is, this was yet another expensive trip to the ER that I’ll never be able to pay off, and God only knows what lies ahead. But for now, it’s one foot in front of the other…..and if I have to spend a little time in Vicodin Land while I’m trudging along, so be it.

1. kbailey374 permalink
    July 19, 2014 11:51 am

Check w/ the financial office to see if they have “charity care,” often they come up w/ a sliding scale based on income. Can’t hoit to ask. Meanwhile I pray this is no biggie. xo

• July 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah, me too. Seems like I can’t catch a break lately….but I don’t feel particularly alarmed, although I did do some research on the subject last night and wasn’t particularly thrilled with what I found out. I’ve had cancer scares before, and I don’t think this is it.

• kbailey374 permalink
        July 20, 2014 2:41 am

Yeah, let’s not do the cancer thing ok? (((BP)))

2. venushalley1984 permalink
    July 19, 2014 9:52 pm

That sounds scary. Are you okay?

• July 20, 2014 12:03 am

Yeah, I’m OK. I’ll just feel better after I’ve been to the doctor and everything turns out to be fine after all. 🙂

• Nan Moore permalink
        July 20, 2014 11:59 am

I hope this GYN is a very good Doctor,,, donot let him know too much!