Happy Birth Day, Mackenzie!

June 18, 2014

Well, I didn’t sleep very well the first night of reducing my Zyprexa dose, but there was a very good reason for it—my daughter, “Mindy,” was in the hospital having her labor induced. I kept waking up thinking I was hearing my phone, but I actually didn’t get the call until about 9:30 this morning.

Here is the result of all her hard work:

Mackenzie Leann Now, this may be one of the prettiest babies I’ve ever seen. (I’m not biased at all, you know that, right?) And she’s the exact dimensions her mother was when she was born: 9 lb. 2 oz. and 20 inches long. She even looks a lot like her mother, up to and including the scads of dark hair under the beanie.

Alas, I’ll probably only get to hold her once as a baby, for her parents are moving in another week or so and they’re going to pass through here for a brief visit before driving the 2500 miles to their new home. Dad is in the Army, which of course means moving frequently, so it may be years before I see them again.

This is nothing new; Mindy has always been my tumbling tumbleweed. When she was in the service herself, she went to Iraq, and then a few years later she spent about a year in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor. She has also lived in a number of different places in the U.S., and this nomadic lifestyle seems to suit her perfectly; she’ll never be content to stay in one place and do what she calls the “housewife thing”. So this little one will be well-traveled by the time she grows up.

Welcome to your life, precious Mackenzie! Prepare to be enchanted. 🙂

1. unevenjenn permalink
    June 18, 2014 1:48 am

Congratulations! She’s precious.

2. June 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Hooray for babies! It’s a good week for ’em. 😀

• June 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Have you had yours? 🙂

• June 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Yup! Picture up on the blog, and more available on our online gallery. No birth story, ’cause not the first time, but the tl;dr boils down to ‘woke up at midnight, figured I was about 8-9cm contracted by pain level, midwife showed up just before 2 and agreed, broke my waters, baby showed up less than half an hour later’. I deeefinitely screamed and cried this time, because holy buns no time to prepare for that. But I feel better on the whole after the fact since it was so much shorter… and the last time I’m doing it, hee hee.

3. kbailey374 permalink
    June 18, 2014 5:43 pm

wow! what a beautiful baby! sad you won’t get to see her too often though 😦 Enjoy your visit!

4. June 18, 2014 10:19 pm

@ Raeyn: Congratulations!! I left a note on your blog, but I’ve got to say you’ve got a very pretty Littlerbit there. Lucky you! 🙂