Bipolar Haiku

June 24, 2013
tags: ,

White pill, yellow pill
blue pill and amber capsules
This is my nightcap.

Manic-depressive
don’t know which is which today.
Damned mixed episodes!

Dancing by myself,
I can’t stop the music that
plays inside my head.

I curse as I bend
to the floor and pick up all
the meds I just spilled.

Rain is pouring down
reaching deep into my soul
with its tears of rage.

Depressed woman feels
filthy, rotten to the core
as she dies inside.

Bipolar shopping,
I went out to buy some milk.
You’ll love our new car.

1. Jesse permalink
    June 24, 2013 7:45 am

That’s amazingly beautiful

2. Nan permalink
    June 24, 2013 10:11 am

it came with my 5th husband……………….

3. kbailey374 permalink
    June 24, 2013 12:18 pm

lol to the last line. thank you bp. 🙂

My brother was on a psych unit – ON it – and bought two vehicles via ebay.

YUH.

4. June 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Very funny last haiku. And very moving all of them.

• June 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Thank you. I’ve never actually done that last one, but I did stop by Wal-Mart last summer for a gallon of milk and some paper plates, and promptly dropped a thousand bucks. Lord only knows what-all I bought, but I was so ashamed of that episode that I hid most of the stuff for weeks and brought it out a little at a time. And I didn’t tell my doctor about it until this past winter. Yikes!

5. November 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Aha, thanks for confirming the shopping thing. My wife hates sending me grocery shopping. She’ll tell me, “just milk and eggs.” Mmm hmm. But we need bacon to go with the eggs, eggs are cheaper in units of 18, might as well buy two, and I want some cheese on those. Or maybe a pie crust to make quiche, so, some broccoli and peppers and mushrooms. We need potatoes, onions and garlic to make hash browns. We need coffee. I need some flour to bake bread to make toast. We need cream, I want a steak, what about frozen pizza, maybe a little ice cream, and chocolate or caramel, why not both, maybe a lot of ice cream… It’s all very logical in the moment, but $7 escalates pretty quickly. I really hate not being able to just spend it when the whim overtakes. She goes, mostly, now, so I don’t spend the electric bill payment or the car payment.